Monday, April 14, 2008

I'm getting sued by a Corporate Company? Not uh!

So I've been selling these really sweet shirts that I designed and made in order to support the Obama campaign. I have sold some to family friends who actually don't live in the state I'm advertising.

Anyways I guess these shirts have been gathering debate among the buyers and those who notice them. I had based the logo off of a famous company's logo, same shape, colors, different design. Poor friends think I, a tiny little college girl, so alone and lost in a giant confusing world, am gonna get sued.

Fortunately for me, I have a live-in lawyer whom some might call my daddy. The other night, when we went out to eat at the local pub, he started telling me about his friend's worries. He started telling me about Andy Warhol.

I love pop art, by the way. I am currently making this layered construction paper collage-thing of one of Lichtenstein's comics. It's pretty amazing. I'm just awesome at thinking of cool new things. Back to mon novelle.

Andy Warhol, if no one remembers, did that Marilyn painting, the very colorful one? That's one thing he's famous for, but we're gonna talk about soup cans.

Campbell.

Andy Warhol was sued. He also painted soup cans for commercial publicity and probably other reasons, like the fact that soup cans look cool. But he was never charged with anything because of this little thing called the "fair use" copyright law.

Which I guess means if you take something and make it your own, everything's good in the hood. The only thing I would ever be afraid of if I was sued would be bringing negativity to the Obama campaign. Of course, like his pastor, Obama has no controlling of what I do and so it would be non of his fault. Would be pretty cool if he knew who I was, though.

At the Peacejam thing, several people said I should market my shirts. And I'm not gonna take any legal or executive action, just continue making them. But I may throw an ad in the back of my car and drive to a much bigger town. First I gotta make a bunch, because as of now, I have none.

Until I have chance to pick up some more tees for a custom order, my shop is on hold. But for shameless commercial purposes, if anyone is interested in finding out more (I don't write details because I don't want people to steal my idea that I worked so hard on), just leave a comment or something. Selling them for $15, or about 20 including shipping, with ALL proceeds being DONATED to Barack Obama's presidential campaign.

It's the little people like me that makes Obama so revolutionary, not to mention Obama himself. Vote for the one that didn't grow up as a politician!

No comments: