Wednesday, April 23, 2008

"Guarana? Tsk, tsk."

You know that 5 Hour Energy commercial? I know you do. It talks about how bad guarana is. Well actually, it talks about how the other pick-me-up drinks have guarana - "tsk tsk."

My mom and I were watching TV when this commercial came up. She asked, "what's guarana?" My response was: "I don't know. I've been wondering that for awhile now."

So here come in my two favorite sources, GOOGLE and Wikipedia. My findings were shocking: guarana is a seed that comes from a plant native to the Amazon and Brazil. It has three times as much caffeine as a coffee bean.

Funny, according to 5 Hour Energy's ingredients, the formula includes caffeine. So why is the ad dissing guarana?

Furthermore, and this is my favorite part, taking 37.5mg or 75mg (based on studies) of guarana increases memory retention, alertness, mood, physical endurance, and other general cognitive effects. Tests were done both on rats AND humans.

"Other laboratory studies showed antioxidant and antibacterial effect, and also fat cell reduction from chronic intake of guarana."

Well, guarana doesn't sound so awful to me. Does it sound that bad to you? Just remember the power of advertising and bogus suggestions that people assume to be true or just don't give any second thought to.

*One negative side effect is that guarana CAN cause seizures in SOME people in excessive amounts. I feel common sense is one huge thing to have and anybody who drinks too much soda or caffeine or anything like that is pretty much asking negative things to come to them.

10 comments:

Mary Child said...

Wait, who are you, and how did you find my blog? I admit that I didn't read your blog extensively, but I'm still not thinking we have a lot in common! Why would you be interested in the ramblings of a stay-at-home mom and her little darlings?

Perhaps if I get a few free minutes I'll browse your blog a bit more and see if there is indeed some common chord somewhere we may share...

Mary Child said...

Okay so I like Obama as well, and I am definitely a believer in ghosts. For sure.

So I still want to know who you are and how you found my blog.

greeneyes said...

Sorry if I freaked you out. I was just browsing the blogs with the navigation bar, I found your blog to be interesting

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with this post. I have just been doing a Google search on guarana in referrence to this ad and came across this post.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I hate those commercials. I always explain to people that guarana is a good thing in moderation... but these guys keep bringing me down.

Anonymous said...

Good comment on guarana. I sell an all-natural energy drink called White Lightning; it was the only energy drink allowed in the state games in San Diego this summer, yet it has guarana in it. The energy lasts 6-8 hours and I absolutely love it.

Anonymous said...

guarana is awesomE AWESOME

Guarana said...

I love Guarana Pulver!

Unknown said...

6. difficult to uncover these beneficial web page or web site. I have many devices and achieving proper picture of these worked well and energy continues to be seeing about this weblog. Often my own intend to make my personal site as well as my own enjoyment is growing due to this page. I we do hope you may well be more effective
happy wheels
super mario bros
pacman
agario

Unknown said...

Friv is big derectory flash games online free for kids. My site add new-best games from Friv, Kizi, Y8, Yepi... Visit and play now, free for fun at Friv.wf!
friv 2 | kizi friv | friv 3 | friv 1000 | friv 2016 | friv 10000 | friv 2017